Thursday, August 25, 2016

Moving On

Truthfully, I've been harboring a deep dark secret for a few months now. As you all know, the oil and gas industry isn't doing really well now, with layoffs happening left right and center.

The Dutch Oil Company had their own reorganization November last year. It was a job placement (people couldn't choose which jobs they wanted to do) and it was based on merit and previous individual performance (so they said). During the said reorganization, I was told that my project would be 'ring fenced', hence everyone working on that project wouldn't have to worry about new job placements. All we needed to do was to focus on delivering the project successfully.

During the same reorganization, I was also told that they had found me a new assignment post current project. Which was extremely good news because it meant that I had job security.

Fast forward to just 6 months later, everyone in the project were given 'at risk' letters. We were given ramp down duration and last day on payroll dates. What's worse was for the team to find out that all available jobs were taken up during the last reorg and hence there were none left for us leaving the current project. What's even worse was... the next job offer that they had promised me back in November was no longer on table (due to legal issues which I had no part in, which I will not divulge here as it involves another staff). I felt as if the carpet was pulled right under me. After more than 10 years in the company, I never imagined that I would have to leave in these circumstances. I mean, I always knew that I wanted to resign before I was 40 to concentrate on the kids and the household. But I didn't count on leaving when I was 34, and especially not on my terms!

The first week was depressing. I was extremely bitchy and fuming angry. How can the company give me an 'at risk' letter and still expect for me to deliver my best for the project? Such bad timing, especially since it was just 2 months before I was due to go offshore. I snapped at everyone (and everything). I panicked! Hubby and I started looking at our finances and made plans in case we were driven down to a single income household. It was not just about the money, but it was also about the benefits, specifically medical, that the family had enjoyed since the start.

The second week I was cynical and bitter. Every opportunity I had, I took a stab at the company and the circumstances. By the third week, I guess I finally came to my senses. I took a day off just to update my CV and submit applications. At the end of the day I forced myself to find peace. In other words, redha. God knows best.

In all my prayers to Allah, I prayed for him to show me the path forward. "If the best for myself, my family and my religion is for me to continue in the company, then please help me secure a new job placement. If the best for myself, my family and my religion is to not continue in the company, then please help me accept this fact graciously, ease my heart and grant me rezeki in any other form or manner."

Well I guess Allah decided that the former was the best for me. (He probably took pity on Hubby as I am such a shopaholic!) Alhamdulillah after several grueling interviews, I managed to land a new role which will start on the 1st of September.

Although the role is much more commercial than what I'm used too, it is still quite technical in nature. Without getting into too much detail, all I can say is I will still be crunching numbers... but the dollars and cents kinda numbers. It is very much a development role for me, as I will be exposed to a discipline that is quite foreign for me. But ultimately it will equip me with skills to be a better project engineer and future project manager.

Not everything is rosy in the Dutch Oil Company now. As I enjoy my last few days of offshore leave, I received news that most of my Upstream buddies were given their second round of 'at risk' letters and news of an imminent wave of reorganization. It is a very depressing time for most of my friends, and all I can do is to doakan the best for them, and pray that Allah grants them strength to go through this next reorganization round.

Kunfayakun - if it is meant to be, it will be. God is great.


Surreal... after 8 great years, I will bid goodbye to the Upstream world.

14 comments:

  1. Kunfayakun indeed.
    Wishing you all the best, Liz.
    I got hit at 30, 10 years ago from restructuring so I know the stages of grief you went through.
    It will never be the same again, but possibly better! Take good care. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I never knew you went through the same. Good to hear that what I feel is completely normal. I was getting quite worried that I was blowing it out of proportion. At the end of the day, its important to remember that semua yang terjadi ada hikmahnya. Take care dear! ;)

      Delete
  2. True. Here in NL, the parking lots are empty and most people don`t know when the letter will come.
    All the best Liz, may everything is well with new place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, so sad to hear that. Yes, this oil and gas crisis is really impacting not just us, but so many other industries as well. I hope all is well on your end too. :)

      Delete
  3. InsyAllah. Allah knows best. All the best Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the best Liz, i'm in the same boat, however as a newbies in IT & Cyberjaya, seem there's no options left. So I think I might just move out & move on when the time comes. :)

    -Eka-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its not just the newbies (young graduates) but the people who just recently joined a company too. Last in, first out. *sigh* Good luck Eka. I doakan the best for you...

      Delete
  5. all the best liz in your new job, new role and shine on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear! InsyaAllah... I hope this new role will treat me well :)

      Delete
  6. Good luck babe...

    Same boat with my hubs. 6 months jobless with single income very challenging. He tried to apply the vacancies but no feedback at all. Now he's just started working same company with me. Syukur alhamdulillah at least he got a job even the "RM" so so many different hehehe

    Had to puasa from visiting the second house hihihi


    -Sara-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my.... berdebar I rasa when I read your comment, Sara. But I'm so happy that all is well now. I pun risau in case my Husband is impacted, and how we would survive on just one income. You never know what is going to happen nowadays kan. Best of luck to the both of us! Take care ;)

      Delete

Thank you in advance for leaving a comment. ;) All comments are moderated. Liz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...