Saturday, November 21, 2009

Of Singaporean Bread

I'm all for the One Malaysia mindset (though not necessarily the reigning party). I sincerely believe that "hujan batu di negara sendiri, hujan emas di negara orang, lebih baik di negara sendiri". Translated literally to "raining rocks in your own country, raining gold in someone else's country, it is better in your own country".

Whenever I am away from Malaysia, I get terribly homesick. I miss the people, I miss the culture, I miss the traffic jam (I do!), I miss the pot holes, I miss the exorbitant parking rates, I miss the the food, okay you get my drift. I swear, the first time I travelled home after a month in someone else's country, my eyes watered when the MAS plane was touching down at home soil, due to the "Malaysia, Truly Asia" tune. Sappy, I know.

So, when hubby brought back a loaf of bread from Singapore for me to try, I was reluctant to admit that it was really good. I love bread. I love Gardenia bread. I used to think that Gardenia bread in Malaysia is really the most yummiest bread you can ever find in the whole wide world. So good you can even eat it on its own. In Paris, I disliked the Baguette. In Russia, I could only find some rock hard loaf of bread which did a lot of damage to my munching capabilities.

Now, I have fallen in love with the Singaporean Gardenia bread. *sigh*. Hubby must carry a loaf whenever he travels home. If not tak boleh masuk rumah!

Check out my comparison:

Plate is used only for display purposes. Not an advertorial piece. Purchased this plate when I was probably 14 years old. No wonder I have a lot of junk in my house.

This is our version of Gardenia you find anywhere and everywhere in Malaysia.

This is the Singaporean version. Wasn't such a great first impression.

From the top, the size is nearly the same. But look at the texture of the bread. So putih and gebu!

And the best part about it, it is thicker by nearly double! Thick and soft!!! *drool*

Sorry Malaysia, Singapore wins this one hands down!

If you are ever in Singapore, and if you are a bread person, you simply have to try this out. Trust me, you will thank me for this.

4 comments:

  1. liz..try this japanese bread. I think you can get it kat Jusco Midvalley. In front of the bakery. I forgot the name and it's a bit pricey. RM18 for a loaf or something like that. But it's sooooooo sedap! Memang "you can even eat it on it's own!" Nnt if i ever get it, I'll post it up on my blog and let you know ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. apparently someone has already reviewed the bread..heheh!you can get it at carrefour now.

    http://marksmakan.blogspot.com/2007/08/gion-bread-from-kyoto-japan-jusco.html

    and

    http://www.healthfreakmommy.com/?p=1092

    the original website
    http://www.gion.com.my/

    lemme know what you think of it when you've tried it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha, okay i'll make it a point to singgah Carrefour (not Jusco - yang Jusco tuh imitation) and give this a try!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for leaving a comment. ;) All comments are moderated. Liz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...