We had a wedding to attend in Lumut hence that was where we spent the first portion of the long weekend. We tried extending our holiday to Pangkor given the very short journey between Lumut jetty and Pangkor Island. Unfortunately every hotel on the island was fully booked! Hard lesson learnt - next time plan ahead!
So we decided to just spend the remainder of the weekend at home. Back home, a couple of neighbours who similarly, did not make any plans for the weekend, decided that it would be a good idea to have a BBQ at our house. We immediately agreed. Little did we know that we were going to be super sick that night!
It started with Hubby who complained of stomach pains after getting home from Lumut. I didn't think much of it, because Hubby usually has tummy troubles whenever we eat out. The only way to keep his stomach safe anywhere on Earth is to eat home! Aiden was also nursing a fever, which he developed after returning from a short rendezvous at the Lumut beach. So the afternoon before the BBQ, I gave him some paracetamol to make him comfortable for the night.
Three hours before the BBQ, Ian vomited his dinner. We cleaned him up and gave him some milk. And since he was his usual cheery self, I wasn't particularly worried. But after the milk, he vomited that too. Then he started vomiting every 15 minutes, until there was nothing else to vomit. He went through at least 10 pairs of clothes! We even ran out of towels from all the cleaning up! I was juggling moping up his vomit while welcoming guests at the same time. In the end, we decided to abandon our own BBQ and bring the kids to the clinic.
At the clinic, Ian vomited again and the nurses immediately escorted us into an available consultation room. He was given suppository medicine to suppress the vomiting while waiting for the doctor. We were given priority to see the doctor first and Ian was diagnosed with having the stomach bug. So back home we went to join the rest of our guests at "our" BBQ. Upon arrival, Aiden rushed to the toilet to throw up! *aaarrrggghhh* Throughout the BBQ, Ian continued throwing up until he was so weak that he even closed his eyes in exhaustion while we changed him. Meanwhile, Aiden had barely any energy left hence he just laid on the couch resting.
Oh... but that wasn't the end of it. Despite all the vomiting drama, I stole some time off in between checking up on the kids, to enjoy the BBQ. We had barbecue chicken, lamb, fish, squid and prawns. Neighbours brought salad and fruits and I made spaghetti bolognese, garlic bread and cranberry trifle. Close to the end of the night, upon swallowing my last bite of the mango... I suddenly felt nauseous. "Oh crap", I thought to myself. True enough, soon after I found myself hunched over the toilet bowl. Okay... I'll spare you from all the gory details, but it was baddddddddddd. Let's just say at one point I could barely breath as my nose was clogged with vomit while a piece of squid got stuck in my air pipe. (Drowning in my own vomit??!!)
Right after everyone left, Hubby - who was the only one left standing... dragged all of us to the hospital. The doctor diagnosed us with Acute Gastroenteritis, also known as the AGE virus. The most common strains of the virus are the Rotavirus (for infants) and Norovirus (adults). Thank goodness both Aiden and Ian took the rotavirus vaccine when they were babies. If not, it would have been much worse!
We were given strict instructions to stay off food (despite the circumstances, I immediately thought, "Yeayyyyy I'm going to lose weight!") and consume only water. If we feel well, we were to start with, in order of doctor's preference:
- Instant noodles Maggi, specifically perasa ayam
- Plain porridge
- Bread with jam (not kaya or Nutella, mind you!)
|My poor boys! (Poor me, too!)|
|230am at the new Ramsay Hospital near Ara Damansara.|
|The next day, our living hall turned into a mini recovery room.|
The next day was just a blur in my head - in between massive headaches, a queasy stomach, fever and sleeping. I smelt a lot of dettol though, as my maid was scrubbing the whole place clean so that we don't infect anyone visiting the house.
Anyway, so as not to turn this into such a depressing post, here are some photos of our BBQ:
|Check out my tired face... just before all the vomiting began.|
|We even set up a tent for the kids to play around in.|
|Food, food... glorious food! #vomitingsucks|
|More food! #vomitingreallysucks|
To date, Aiden and I have fully recovered. Only Ian is still down with a slight fever, but that should pass soon. I hope you never have to go through what we went through... and I hope you had a fabulous holiday! Take care!
P.S: In case you're wondering, the number on the weighing scale barely budged. *sigh*